Apple iPhone5, simply the biggest star of 2012, technology or elsewhere has finally been announced. Yes, that is true. The magical iPhone 5 for which fans had been waiting with anxiety, enthusiasm and curiosity was announced today by Apple CEO Tim Cook and Apple SVP, Philip Schiller in a mega event, here in California.
Apple Inc. after weeks of speculations and rumors that had been surrounding the 6th phone of the iPhone series, unveiled the phone saying that it is lighter and thinner than its predecessor despite of having a bigger screen. There was a lot of hype surrounding the release of the iPhone 5, a thing that has become a norm with every release of a new version of this smartphone. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple and the man behind the iconic iPhone series, passed away last year which was followed by the release of iPhone 4S, more of a tribute to the man than being an update to the series as such.
There are many features, that were unveiled, which match the market predictions and there are a few surprises as well. The news around the phone is still flowing and a detailed version of it might be had in a few hours from now, but we give you a list of features that have been confirmed till now.
iPhone 5 major features
- The screen is much taller than the iPhone 4S which makes a room for another row of icons that can be added. It has a 4 inch screen with retina display.
- Capability of connecting to fastest wireless data networks, a feature that was missing to some other players already in the market.
- The phone is 18 per cent thinner as compared to the 4S and 20 per cent lighter than the previous one. The weight is a meager 112 grams and with its depth of 7.6 mm, it is the thinnest smartphone in the market.
- Aluminum glass back, a new feature as compared to previous versions but the metal band and the flat front and back remain the same.
- It has a pixel density of 326 PPI and a resolution of 1136x 640.
- It is powered by an A6 processor, which is being said to be as much as 2 times faster than the A5 processor.
- A support for 4G or LTE is another new feature this time around and will be supporting speeds compared to Windows phones and best Android smartphones. It can now support speed up to 100Mbps.
- Wi-fi now supports two bands, 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.
- The camera is an 8 megapixel one and has a low light mode, sapphire crystal and a precision lens alignment.
- The front camera is now a 720p HD one as compared to VGAs in previous versions.
- The iPhone 5 has a Panorama mode.
- The battery life has been improved from the 4S by a significant amount and can now stand up to 8 hours on the LTE. That is like a remarkable achievement for Apple this time around and it nearly steamrolls the competition.
- There is a newer and smaller dock connector and is USB 3 compatible one and has been named as Lightning.
The iPhone 5 is indeed an upgrade from iPhone 4S, unlike the case between 4 and 4S. How much it will meet the expectations of the costumers will have to be seen over the next few days but they have managed to compile some very good features in the latest version and definitely set the competition in smartphone market going again.
iPhone 5 Price
iPhone 5 Price for unlocked version is not yet unveiled, it will be declared on the launch date ( 19th Sept.), However its available on contract in US and price starts at $199.